How to change your Minecraft Name/Username? (Step-by-Step)
Stuck with a bad sounding Minecraft Name? Well, now Mojang players can easily change their Minecraft usernames when they want.
In earlier versions, there was no such option available.
So, to meet the user’s demands in the February 2015 release Mojang made it possible for its players to change the username. You must also keep in mind that, once you have changed the username, you can only change it back within next 30 days.
The old version account holders must make sure to get your account shifted to Mojang.
How to Change Minecraft Name?
Here’s a step-by-step guide to change your Minecraft Name.
- Log into your Mojang Account where Minecraft will allow you to change the username via the use of the Mojang site. Enter your email ID and password.
- In case, you haven’t registered, then just click on Register A New Mojang Account and fill in your details and click Create Account.
- The next step is to add in your Minecraft username by clicking on Modification which is just beside your profile name.
- After signing in, you will see the Mojang Video Games signed up to your account. Now, you must find and identify your Minecraft username.
- After you have your username, just click on Adjustment and then click Continue.
- Once you have filled in all your information accurately, click on Log In. After that, you will be redirected to the page where you have to answer security question answers and click Proceed.
- You will be redirected again to another web page where you click on Change.
- Now here is where you can change the Minecraft username. Fill in your new username along with a valid modification.
- Once you see your new username, enter your password and proceed by clicking Change Name.
- Now, your Minecraft username will be changed within a few minutes displaying your new username.
Older Minecraft accounts need to be shifted over to Mojang before you can change the name. And you can do that for free.
While it is free to change your name, you have to wait 30 days until your next name reset and the old name will become available 37 days after you switch to another. Minecraft names are supposed to be unique, so you can’t select the one already in use by another player.
In the earlier versions of Minecraft, it was possible for players to register a username before they buy the game.
If you have an unpaid username, here are some facts you absolutely need to know
- Make sure that you have access to your old, unpaid Minecraft account. If you cannot access with that username, you can contact the website customer support and give them your registered email address or physical registration location, so that they will set it to a new email address.
- The players cannot have more than one Minecraft username per Mojang account.
- You can purchase a Minecraft Prepaid Card from a retail store. Sometimes, old usernames can only be upgraded with prepaid cards and gift codes.
- Redeeming your gift code or prepaid card at Mojang.com, an option to import an old username will be available.
- You can still register the name normally if you can’t complete the process before these unpaid accounts are maxed out.
- Name changes will wipe other parts of your account. If you are banned from a PE server, you will remain banned. You can also check how to create your Minecraft Server.
- You will also retain a whitelist and OP status on servers along with the inventory, pets, and stats.
- The name changes should work fine with many gaming versions and the modes.
Common problems while changing Minecraft Name/Username
Many people randomly face this problem of changing their Minecraft names just a few many times. But, it’s not possible to change your profile name right after you have changed it. If you want to change the name again, then you have to wait for a period of 30 days and only after that you can change it again.
Another problem is that most people try to change their name after creating a new account. But the thing is, those people have to wait for 30 days too. And then there some who want their old name back; those players are required to have a window of 7 days after their 30 days are over.
So, till 37 days are over no one would be able to claim your old name. The 7-day window is the only guaranteed opportunity to get your old name back.
Generally, people get confused with the fact that Profile name and username are two different things.
But these are two completely different things and should not be intermixed.
A username is the one that is displayed at the bottom right corner of your game launcher. People having an old account, have to migrate the old to their Mojang account.
Things to remember:
- If you have recently changed your username, it’s a good idea to wait before changing it again. In an order to keep the users from changing their names frequently, Mojang enforces a mandatory 30-day waiting time between two name changes. This means that once you change your name, you’ll have to wait at again 30 days before you can do it. This wait time also happens when you create a new account. Which means that you can’t change your name if you have just made a new account.
- If you wish to have your old name back, you need to change it within 37 days. When you change your Minecraft username, as the other users can’t take your old name right away. Which means you still have to wait 30 days to change back to your old name. There is no instant way to do change the Minecraft account.
- Do not confuse changing the profile name with changing your username. In the Minecraft home window, there’s s an option at the bottom left corner, to edit your existing profile or create a new one. That said, none of the options will affect your in-game username.
- If you log in with a username, migrate the account before changing your name. Before Minecraft switched to a shared account with all other Mojang games, it used its own account system. It required its users to log in with the username, rather than an email.
How to Change The Minecraft Version?
Most of the Minecraft maps were custom made for a specific client version of Minecraft. And so sometimes they may work with other versions or not. But it is true when the map utilizes the new features of a beta snapshot for a Minecraft version that is not officially released yet. Therefore it is important, and in most cases necessary, to always use the same client version that the map was built in.
With the latest feature of the Minecraft Launcher in 1.6, switching between two Minecraft versions has never been easier.
As far as it comes to maps, there is usually a very slight difference between the major releases and minor ones of the same client version. They are mainly released to fix bugs and crashes and don’t add up to any major features.
For example, many maps made in Minecraft 1.7.2 will work absolutely fine in Minecraft 1.7.10. There are some exceptions though.
To change your Minecraft game version, follow these simple steps.
- Click on New Profile at the bottom left corner of the Minecraft launch window.
- Look for the option Use Version and select the Minecraft version you want to use from the drop-down menu next to it.
- Choose your profile name and click on Save Profile.
- Now all you have to do is, simply select that profile anytime you want to play a map that was made in a particular Minecraft version.
Why Minecraft is So Popular?
People have been recently so fond of the game, that they want to play it all day and night. And even if they’re not playing it, they’re talking about playing it or watching countless YouTube videos of other people playing it.
The designer of Minecraft believes creativity is the secret behind its popularity. And the ability to build ‘anything you want’.
Minecraft creates a unique individual experience that appeals to the people and makes want to build and create more.
The possible applications of Minecraft would have to be in the field of computer-aided design and education. At a MineCon 2011 Panel, a Swedish developer discussed the possibility of using this game to redesign public buildings and parks.
Suggesting that considering using Minecraft was much more user-friendly for the community. And makes it easier to clearly envision the functionality of the new buildings and parks.